My first recipe for this blog! My head is swimming with ideas for new dishes and creative ways to enhance old ones.
Tofu Veggie Scramble Tacos
Recipe type: Brunch
Great weekend recipe to share with friends. This recipe can easily made into burritos as well.
- Makes 10 tacos
- 1 small head broccoli - about 2 cups, chopped small (peel any larger stalks first)
- 8 oz. extra firm tofu - press out water - crumble (larger pieces are okay)
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped into teensy bits (1/3 in.)
- 1 purple carrot (any color will do, but purple gives you stripes!) in large shreds
- 1 cup corn *use bbq corn (frozen or canned works) for extra flavor
- 8 sweet gold pearl onions - chop to size of an actual pearl
- 4 stalks green onion - finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 or 2 jalapenos - remove seeds & mince
- 3 to 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder *I used Ancho chili powder
- 2 Tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tsp grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 3 Tsp soy sauce or tamari - combine with next two
- 1½ Tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1 Tbsp water
- You can add avocados, lime wedges and cilantro for topping.
- You'll need a big skillet for this pile of deliciousness.
- Heat oil on medium heat and cook onion until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add all vegetables except corn, cook uncovered (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Keep your eye on the tenderness. Don't let them get mushy.
- (I set a few carrot pieces aside to add as garnish because I like the crunch).
- Stir in jalapeno and garlic, add corn (drain thoroughly first), stir again.
- Put the tofu in (told you it needs a big pan!); now sprinkle the dry seasonings
- evenly over whole pan.
- Stir gently so you don't break the tofu up too much.
- Sprinkle the soy/lime mixture all over.
- Cook for 2 or 3 more minutes until all veggies are tender.
- If consistency is still too wet, keep turning the mix over gently.
- Warm small corn tortillas for tacos or larger flour tortillas if you want to make burritos.
- A chunky tomato salsa or pico de gallo can be added a to kick the flavor up a notch.
- If you want to breathe fire, add whichever hot sauce is your favorite.
- Serve sliced avocados, lime wedges and cilantro on the side.
- Would be great with a crisp, light beer.
- I put ice & lime wedges in a glass of watermelon/mint lemonade.